Thursday, May 20, 2010

An Existentialist Says What

I haven't read much Sartre yet, but I liked one of his ideas very much. Sartre was the genius behind modern existentialism: the loner's fortress.

Now, I've been dabbling in philosophy for many years and I still couldn't tell you clearly what existentialism is. It's one of those ideas, like I used to encounter in computer programming, so dense with substructure that a layman simply can not comprehend it. For instance, in computer programming, a simple function such as parsing an integer would require me to explain parsing, integers, string values, numeric values, etc, in order for you to know what I'm talking about.

But perhaps with the same urgency with which some like to share their Knowledge Network findings, I must tell you the impact this Sartre documentary had on me. He came up with the phrase, 'Hell is other people.'

The existentialist lives in a self centred universe. While that sounds negative, remember that we are all prisoners within our bodies. And we all remember ourselves differently than others remember us. It is impossible to contemplate yourself through another's eyes without feeling diminished. On the other hand, the existentialist is free to turn his eyes outward, and may be more inclined to do so - if he is ever sure that's what he is.

Atheism and existentialism are often paired. Naturally, we can only have one God per universe, if any. But the threat of making oneself God is enough reason to keep these two schools together. (In my final judgement.)

For a philosophy so focused on the life of one, at least its 'Hell' part concedes to the possibility of other lives. Existentialism. What a great word to use with authority on the gamble that no one present will challenge it!

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: