Sunday, May 30, 2010

Diablogical

Writing dialogues can pass the time in an entertaining way. It can also be a fun way to make your point.

I can see why Plato used dialogues. They let the author reinforce his argument by setting up its challengers to fail. Good example right at the beginning of The Republic. That guy (Name escapes me. Thrasychimes?) who thought tyranny was acceptable because it conformed to nature. Boy, did he look stupid afterward.

That's not quite what I'm doing in my dialogues. I'm just fucking around, having a laugh by myself. You know. You think of a situation and the kind of characters that fit. Throw in a couple who don't fit. Give them all names. Kind of a power trip by then. I can never resist the urge to mess with them.

Dialogues are easy. They practically write themselves. You can almost start from anywhere and a story will emerge from it. Don't worry about character development. The dialogues can take care of that.

Why, you're absolutely right. The dialogues can, indeed, take care of that and so much more!

More Scripts Songs Statements

© 2010. Scripts by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: